About the National Network of Public Health Institutes
We are the central hub for public health institutes working to improve public health in the United States.
Who We Are
Mobilizing more than 40-member public health institutes with over $2.2 billion in annual funding – as well as 10 university-based regional training centers, and 40 affiliates – NNPHI connects more than 8,000 subject-matter experts with organizational partners across the nation.
With an expansive organizational presence (in blue) and activities across all 50 states, the national network is a go-to resource for analysis and best practices. We also provide important network connections for communities, government agencies, foundations, the health care delivery system, media, and academia.
What is a Public Health Institute?
Public health institutes are nonprofit organizations dedicated to advancing public health practice and making systematic improvements in population health. NNPHI public health institutes drive the kind of improvements that impact the health outcomes of groups (as opposed to just individuals) and help all people to access the conditions and resources they need to live healthy, happy lives.
What We Do
Created in 2001 as a forum for public health institutes, today NNPHI convenes its members and partners at the local, state, and national levels in efforts to address critical health issues. In serving our members, NNPHI provides:
- Technical assistance and training (including organizational development, quality improvement, performance management, health impact assessment, and evidence-based public health policy and practice)
- Research and program evaluation
- Stakeholder convening, facilitation, and management
- Organizational capacity building
- Program development and implementation
- Administrative Partner services
Why We Do It
“Innovation-fostering public health institutes across the nation collaborating to improve population health.”
We work to unite public health institutes, training centers, community organizations, government agencies, health care systems, and businesses in advancing public health practice and improving population health.
“To support national public health system initiatives and strengthen public health institutes to promote multi-sector activities resulting in measurable improvements of public health structures, systems, and outcomes.”
To improve population health, the national network supports the public health workforce, promotes collaboration across sectors, and drives the field towards cutting-edge research and practice.
With a long track record of providing quality technical assistance and a commitment to working in partnership with people and communities, our network of public health institutes is committed to promoting and improving health and wellness for all.
- We are a go-to source for guidance, resources, research, analysis, and best practices about population health and the social determinants of health.
- We are deeply familiar with local challenges and opportunities because we are deeply rooted in our communities.
- We specialize in bringing people, organizations, and communities together to advance common goals.
- We thrive on supporting our partners.
- We multiply our expansive reach, influence, expertise, and value through membership in the National Network of Public Health Institutes.