In this section, you will find a list of resources that can be helpful to your work related to quality improvement and accreditation at the local and state levels of public health.
- Transforming Public Health Practice Through Accreditation (Web)
January/February 2014. Journal of Public Health Management and Practice (JPHMP).
The 20th anniversary special issue of JPHMP highlights the emerging evidence base around public health department accreditation through research studies, commentaries, and case reports. It includes an article on NNPHI's Quality Improvement Program.
- Lead States in Public Health Quality Improvement (originally called the Multistate Learning Collaborative) Program Results Report (Web)
Last updated: January 10. 2014. L. De Milto, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.
This Program Results Report documents key results and evaluation findings from three phases of the Multistate Learning Collaborative (MLC), later renamed Lead States in Public Health Quality Improvement. From 2005 to 2011, this program, funded by Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and managed by NNPHI, sponsored 17 states to work on public health assessment and quality improvement, with an eye towards pursuing the accreditation of local health departments, and to share their experiences with one another.
- Strengthening the Community of Practice: Accreditation and Quality Improvement in Public Health Progress Report (Web)
September 11, 2013. J. Hannay, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.
This Progress Report documents how the Community of Practice for Public Health Improvement (COPPHI) has been advancing accreditation and quality improvement in public health since October 2011 through hosting the Open Forum for Quality Improvement (QI), managing the QI Award Program, and promoting the Public Health Quality Improvement Exchange (PHQIX).
- Community Health Assessment and Improvement Planning: The Unique Contribution Of Public Health Institutes (PDF, 1,011 KB)
August 2013. NNPHI.
This brief highlights partnerships between health departments, hospitals, and public health institutes on community health assessment and improvement planning, featuring the of Health Resources in Action, the Kansas Health Institute, and the Louisiana Public Health Institute.
- Partnering for Public Health Improvement: How State Health Departments and Public Health Institutes Collaborate to Assess System Performance (PDF, 127 KB)
2011. ASTHO and NNPHI.
This article briefly describes how such partnerships in Michigan and Illinois stimulated improvements in the public health system using the National Public Health Performance Standards Program (NPHPSP).
- Quality Improvement Coaching to Build Capacity Within Health Departments: Reflections and Recommendations (Web)
January/February 2014. Jennifer McKeever and Nikki Rider, NNPHI.
This Journal of Public Health Management and Practice article examines the efficacy of distance-based coaching provided to the health departments that participated in NNPHI’s Quality Improvement (QI) Award Program. It includes an analysis of data from web-based satisfaction surveys along with programmatic data collected through progress reports, coaching logs, and meetings.
- Quality Improvement in Public Health (Web)
January/February 2010. Journal of Public Health Management and Practice (JPHMP).
- Quality Improvement in Public Health: Lessons Learned from the Multi-State Learning Collaborative (PDF, 260 KB)
- For more publications, go to NNPHI e-catalog and search by keyword for “Public health improvement publication."
Archived Meeting Materials
Webinars and Trainings