In this section, you will find a list of resources that can be helpful to your work related to quality improvement and accreditation at the local and state levels of public health.
- NNPHI's Public Health Performance Improvement Toolkit (Web)
Tools, samples, presentations, and other resources to support your performance improvement work.
- National Public Health Performance Standards (NPHPS), Version 3.0 (Web)
The NPHPS are designed to assist state and local public health systems, and local governance entities in assessing and improving their public health systems or boards of health. NPHPS tools can be used to identify partners and community members in the public health system, engage those partners in health assessment and health improvement planning, and promote improvement in agencies, systems, and communities.
- Strengthening the Community of Practice: Accreditation and Quality Improvement in Public Health Progress Report (Web)
September 11, 2013. J. Hannay, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.
This Progress Report documents how the Community of Practice for Public Health Improvement (COPPHI) has been advancing accreditation and quality improvement in public health since October 2011 through hosting the Open Forum for Quality Improvement (QI), managing the QI Award Program, and promoting the Public Health Quality Improvement Exchange (PHQIX).
- Community Health Assessment and Improvement Planning: The Unique Contribution Of Public Health Institutes (PDF, 1,011 KB)
August 2013. NNPHI.
This brief highlights partnerships between health departments, hospitals, and public health institutes on community health assessment and improvement planning, featuring the of Health Resources in Action, the Kansas Health Institute, and the Louisiana Public Health Institute.
- Partnering for Public Health Improvement: How State Health Departments and Public Health Institutes Collaborate to Assess System Performance (PDF, 127 KB)
2011. ASTHO and NNPHI.
This article briefly describes how such partnerships in Michigan and Illinois stimulated improvements in the public health system using the National Public Health Performance Standards Program (NPHPSP).
- Journal of Public Health Management and Practice – Accreditation Edition (Web)
July/August 2007. Volume 13, Issue 4.
- Journal of Public Health Management and Practice – Quality Improvement Edition (Web)
January/February 2010. Volume 16, Issue 1.
- Quality Improvement in Public Health: Lessons Learned from the Multi-State Learning Collaborative (PDF, 260 KB)
- For more publications, go to NNPHI e-catalog and search by keyword for “Public health improvement publication."
Archived Meeting Materials