In this section, you will find a list of resources that can be helpful to your work related to quality improvement and accreditation at the local and state levels of public health.
- NNPHI's Public Health Performance Improvement Toolkit (Web)
Tools, samples, presentations, and other resources to support your performance improvement work.
- National Public Health Performance Standards (NPHPS), Version 3.0 (Web)
The NPHPS are designed to assist state and local public health systems, and local governance entities in assessing and improving their public health systems or boards of health. NPHPS tools can be used to identify partners and community members in the public health system, engage those partners in health assessment and health improvement planning, and promote improvement in agencies, systems, and communities.
- Transforming Public Health Practice Through Accreditation (Web)
January/February 2014. Journal of Public Health Management and Practice (JPHMP).
The 20th anniversary special issue of JPHMP highlights the emerging evidence base around public health department accreditation through research studies, commentaries, and case reports. It includes an article on NNPHI's Quality Improvement Program.
- Lead States in Public Health Quality Improvement (originally called the Multistate Learning Collaborative) Program Results Report (Web)
Last updated: January 10. 2014. L. De Milto, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.
This Program Results Report documents key results and evaluation findings from three phases of the Multistate Learning Collaborative (MLC), later renamed Lead States in Public Health Quality Improvement. From 2005 to 2011, this program, funded by Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and managed by NNPHI, sponsored 17 states to work on public health assessment and quality improvement, with an eye towards pursuing the accreditation of local health departments, and to share their experiences with one another.
- Strengthening the Community of Practice: Accreditation and Quality Improvement in Public Health Progress Report (Web)
September 11, 2013. J. Hannay, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.
This Progress Report documents how the Community of Practice for Public Health Improvement (COPPHI) has been advancing accreditation and quality improvement in public health since October 2011 through hosting the Open Forum for Quality Improvement (QI), managing the QI Award Program, and promoting the Public Health Quality Improvement Exchange (PHQIX).
- Community Health Assessment and Improvement Planning: The Unique Contribution Of Public Health Institutes (PDF, 1,011 KB)
August 2013. NNPHI.
This brief highlights partnerships between health departments, hospitals, and public health institutes on community health assessment and improvement planning, featuring the of Health Resources in Action, the Kansas Health Institute, and the Louisiana Public Health Institute.
- Partnering for Public Health Improvement: How State Health Departments and Public Health Institutes Collaborate to Assess System Performance (PDF, 127 KB)
2011. ASTHO and NNPHI.
This article briefly describes how such partnerships in Michigan and Illinois stimulated improvements in the public health system using the National Public Health Performance Standards Program (NPHPSP).
- Quality Improvement in Public Health (Web)
January/February 2010. Journal of Public Health Management and Practice (JPHMP).
- Quality Improvement in Public Health: Lessons Learned from the Multi-State Learning Collaborative (PDF, 260 KB)
- For more publications, go to NNPHI e-catalog and search by keyword for “Public health improvement publication."
Archived Meeting Materials
Archived Webinars and Trainings
- Community Health Improvement Training Series (Web)
February 2014. Kansas Health Institute.
These online training modules, developed by the Kansas Health Institute, cover key facets of the Community Health Assessment (CHA) and Community Health Improvement Planning (CHIP) process including: CHA-CHIP Models; engagement; identifying assets; data collection and analysis; setting priorities; setting goals, objectives, and outcome measures; interventions; communications and collaboration.
- Sustaining the Gains: Building a Culture of Quality Improvement after your Quality Improvement Award Program Project is Complete (PDF, 73 KB)
Tuesday, August 20th at 12:00 PM ET - 1:30 PM ET.
In this Quality Improvement Award Program webinar, Quality Improvement Coach Grace Gorenflo talks about sustaining momentum for quality improvement within your organization after the completion of your project. Grace focuses on building a culture of quality improvement within your agency and how you can leverage your accomplishments for continued progress.
- National Public Health Performance Standards (NPHPS) Version 3: What's New with the Tool for Improvement and Accreditation (PDF, 202 KB)
Tuesday, August 27 at 2:00 PM ET – 3:00 PM ET.
This Public Health Improvement Webinar will help you understand how the revised NPHPS tools have changed and how they complement other public health improvement initiatives. Mitzi Racine from the Rocky Mountain Tribal Epidemiology Center shares her experiences working with tribes on the Governance Entity Assessment of the Performance Standards and the revised Performance Standards, as well as leveraging the Performance Standards for accreditation and health improvement efforts.
- For more webinars, go to NNPHI e-catalog and search by keyword for “Public health improvement webinars."