The Chief Financial Officer (CFO) will serve as a member of the executive team. In collaboration with the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and the Chief Operating Officer (COO) the CFO will articulate and implement the strategic vision and leadership of the agency. The CFO is responsible for the oversight and financial strategies of Trailhead Institute. This includes financial reporting, maintaining bank and other credit institution relationships, cash management, budget preparation, contract review and approval, oversight of retirement programs, coordination of annual audit, tax returns, governmental information returns and overall interface between the Finance Department and the various groups that Trailhead services. The goal of the CFO is to lead finance strategy and vision in line with the Trailhead mission and to maintain and improve the financial integrity of the organization.
Trailhead Institute is a public health institute whose mission is to advance innovation and collaboration in public and environmental health. With this in mind, this position will work with everyone within the Trailhead Institute team to further the organization’s mission and operate in accordance to our guiding values of teamwork, openness, responsiveness, accountability and leadership.
Financial Strategy, Management and Compliance
- Establish, Ensure, and Develop finance organizational strategies by contributing financial and accounting information, analysis, and recommendations to strategic thinking and direction; establishing functional objectives in line with organizational objectives
- Establish finance operational strategies by evaluating trends; establishing critical measurements; productivity, quality, and customer-service strategies; designing systems; accumulating resources; resolving problems; implementing change
- Establish, develop and ensure organization prospects by studying economic trends and revenue opportunities; projecting acquisition and expansion prospects; analyzing organization operations; identifying opportunities for improvement, cost reduction, and systems enhancement; accumulating capital fund expansion
- Establish, Develop and Ensure financial strategies by forecasting capital, facilities, and staff requirements; identifying monetary resources; developing action plans
- Monitor financial performance by measuring and analyzing results; initiating corrective actions; minimizing the impact of variances
- Report organizational financial status by developing forecasts; reporting results; analyzing variances; and developing improvements
- Ensure organizational awareness and implementation of new financial regulations
- Establish, Ensure, Develop and Maintain systems of internal controls to safeguard financial assets of the organization and oversee federal awards and programs.
- Oversee coordination all financial reporting and audit activities; including independent 501c3 and federal audits, and preparation of the annual financial statements.
- Ensure all financial practices are in accordance with U.S. GAAP and federal, state and other required supplementary schedules and information
- Oversee the management and coordination of all fiscal reporting activities for the organization including: organizational revenue/expense and balance sheet reports, reports to funding agencies, development and monitoring of organizational and contract/grant budgets.
- Ensure adequate cash flow to meet the organization’s needs.
- Ensure that cost-effective benefit plans and other fringe benefits which the organization may offer employees are competitive. Assist in the design, implementation, and timely calculations of salaries and incentives for employees.
- Oversee the production of any and all financial reporting
- Oversee business insurance plans and health care coverage analysis.
- Oversee inventory of all fixed assets, including assets purchased with government funds (computers, etc.) assuring all are in accordance with federal regulations.
- Support the CEO with the preparation of monthly and annual financial reports and plans.
- Ensure, coordinate, and produce all tax documentation as required.
- Oversee the development and supervision of Finance Department Staff
Payroll Strategy and Administration
- Oversee all payroll functions to ensure that employees are paid in a timely and accurate manner.
- Process and submit statutory and benefits remittances.
- Oversee and ensure issuance of annual 1099s, W2s and 941s. Banking Strategy
- Oversee banking relationships and serve as primary liaison with all financial institutions.
- Oversee and monitor banking activities of the organization.
- Ensure and maximize return on invested funds by identifying investment opportunities; maintaining relationships with the investment and banking community.
- Negotiate with financial institutions for lines of credit or other financial services as required and appropriate.
Budget Strategy and Preparation
- Establish guidelines for budget and forecast preparation, and prepare the annual budget in consultation with the CEO, COO, and Board Treasurer.
- Lead CEO and COO with the preparation of budgets for all Trailhead applications and organizational budgets.
Risk Management Strategy
- Monitor risk management policies and procedures to ensure that program and organizational risks are minimized.
- Advise on appropriate insurance coverage for the organization and the Board of Directors.
Organizational Strategy and Leadership
- Direct and assure the work throughout the organization is in line with Trailhead’s mission, vision and strategic goals. Provide thought leadership on operational and mission impact, organizational capacity, risk factors, and other key factors to inform strategic decisionmaking.
- Develop the organizational strategic plan including developing the timeline, strategies and Key Performance Indicators, along with the CPO and CFO and through the guidance of the CEO and Board of Directors
- Direct and Manage initiatives and projects of the Board of Directors through the direction of the CEO
- Ensure all Trailhead staff are trained and up to date on the fiscal best practices.
- Cultivate the Board of Directors based on the leadership from the CEO
- Direct strategic development activities of the organization identifying emerging opportunities to leverage current work and internal capacities for new business development along with the CPO and CFO through the direction of the CEO
- Cultivate partner connections and relationships
- High proficiency in GAAP, Federal Cost Principles and Federal Grant Management
- Skilled in Abila MIP Fund Accounting Software (or the like) and Microsoft Office
- Ability to manage and oversee a large quantity of accounts
- Experience working with a Board of Directors
- Experience and success supervising multiple staff members
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Keen attention to detail, with an ability to spot errors
- Strong analytical and organizational skills
- Ability to work with varying seniority levels, including program and finance staff, managers and several external partners
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal and communication skills
- Willingness and ability to learn and grow to meet the changing requirements of the job
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance, Master’s degree is preferred
- Minimum 8 years’ experience in finance
Hiring salary range for this position is negotiable and commensurate with skills and experience. Position is located in Denver, Colorado. Trailhead offers a generous benefits package including health, dental, vision, life and 401k. They also offer free parking, work out facilities and flexible schedules.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, review of applications we begin on March 23, 2018 but full consideration will be given to complete applications received by April 6, 2018. Those who do not apply by the deadline may or may not be considered.
Applications should be submitted by April 6, 2018. Only electronic submissions are accepted. Please submit a resume, cover letter, and three references to: Sarah Lampe, Chief Operating Officer, firstname.lastname@example.org