The Director of Communications is the chief steward of the Texas Health Institute brand and is a member of the management team. This position manages a team of two contractors currently: a communications associate and a graphic designer. The position works closely with all staff at THI and reports to the Chief Strategy and Impact Officer.
THI is an equal opportunity employer committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in our work and staff. We do not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices based on actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions), age, marital status, sexual orientations, gender identity or expression, veteran status, uniform service member status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. Women, people of color (including multilingual and multicultural individuals), LGBTQ+ persons, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
The most competitive candidates for the position are self-motivated, strategic, creative, communications professionals who are passionate about our mission, driven by equity and skilled in management. The Director must share our vision for Texas and use a range of creative strategies to get THI’s content in front of the right people in the right formats at the right times. We seek a strong writer with a background in digital communications, journalism, or public relations, and strong management experience. The Director should be guided by the values of equity and justice and have a track record of success in mission-driven advocacy or public relations and communications. They will oversee a portfolio that includes narrative and message development, video production, social media, traditional and new media relations, writing, editing, and other communications strategies.
The Director of Marketing and Communications provides vision, leadership, management support, technical implementation and guidance to THI’s marketing and communications efforts through direct management of internal resources, as well as contractor/s and external resource engagement. The Director of Marketing and Communications ensures the institute’s goals are achieved and leads development, implementation, iteration, and evaluation of the institute’s strategic and daily marketing and communication efforts. The Director of Marketing and Communications is a forward looking, experienced communicator, serves as a leader within the institute and ensures the planning and execution of the marketing and communications strategies to assist THI in meeting its goals. This role reports to the Chief Strategy and Impact Officer and will be a member of the THI management team.
Development and Implementation
- Develop and supervise the communications team and serve as a strategic member of THI’s management team
- Build a narrative and messaging for the organization in collaboration with leadership and program directors that centers equity and social justice and focuses attention on THI’s activities and issues
- Supervise and assist in successful media relations efforts by pitching THI’s proactive work, responding rapidly to news that intersects with our priorities, and developing and maintaining relationships with journalists and influencers across the state
- Develop and manage annual communications work plans, budgets, and timelines
Assessment and Improvement
- Regularly assess and survey the communications and narrative ecosystem to ensure that THI’s messages, narrative and communications remain relevant within the dynamic social and political environment
- Continually assess THI effectiveness in reaching target audiences and driving use of its resources and services
- Lead and assist in the development of speeches, op-eds, talking points, digital and web content, blog posts, press releases, and public statements
- Supervise and assist in the management and effectiveness of social media, digital outreach, and video development
- Guide editing of publications, blog posts and other materials
- Liaison with contractors such as web design and creative services firms and with Communication leads at partner organizations for joint publications
- Lead in building the communications skills of employees, including delivery of trainings
- Support and collaborate with staff on event planning, materials, digital fundraising strategy, and fundraising-related marketing
- Other duties as needed
NOTE: These requirements represent minimum levels in order to perform the job on a satisfactory basis. Candidates must have the ability to satisfactorily perform the essential functions of the job.
Supervisory Responsibility: Yes
- This position is a leadership position and requires 5+ years of experience in communications, marketing or public relations.
- A commitment to racial equity and social justice
- Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field (Communications, Journalism, English)
- Management experience
- Strong writing and editing skills, including the ability to explain complex issues clearly and succinctly.
- Demonstrated success building relationships with influencers; crafting and executing strategic communications plans; demonstrated digital communications expertise
- Strong familiarity with digital communications, information technology, and social media
- Demonstrated organizational and project management skills
- Nonprofit/public policy/Texas communications experience
- At least 3 years of previous management experience
- Experience with communications in public health or health care organizations
- Knowledge of best practices for effective communication of data and impact
- Master’s degree in relevant field
- Spanish language fluency
- Permanent, full time
- FLSA exempt
- Consistent with our current salary scale, the salary range for the position is competitive with nonprofit market rate and commensurate with experience. THI offers health/dental/vision insurance, life and long-term disability insurance, retirement contributions, and generous paid vacation, personal/sick leave, and holidays.
Please email (subject line: Director of Marketing and Communications) a cover letter, resume, THI job application and two references to Sherry Wilkie at firstname.lastname@example.org by April 30, 2021. The cover letter should describe your interest in the position and include a detailed explanation of your connection to our mission, how your experience meets the minimum qualifications and how you are prepared for the responsibilities outlined in the job description.
All documents must be received in order for your application to be considered. E‐mail applications with attachments in Microsoft Word or PDF format only. We do not accept phone inquiries regarding the position.
THI is a non-profit, non-partisan public health institute. Since 1964, we have served as a trusted, leading voice on public health and healthcare issues in Texas and the nation. Our expertise, strategies, and nimble approach makes us an integral and essential partner in driving systems change efforts. We work across and within sectors to lead collaborative efforts and facilitate connections to foster systems that provide the opportunity for everyone to lead a healthy life.
As the public health institute in Texas we are also a member of the National Network of Public Health Institutes which is a social, financial and information network, connecting more than 8,000 subject-matter experts with organizational partners across the nation.