Texas Health Institute is an independent, non-profit, non-partisan public health institute with a mission to advance the health of all. Since 1964, we have served as a trusted, leading voice on public health and healthcare issues in Texas and the nation. Our expertise, strategies, and nimble approach makes us an integral and essential partner in driving systems change efforts. Through our three pronged approach of research, translation, and collaborative action we work across and within sectors to lead collaborative efforts and facilitate connections to foster systems that provide the opportunity for everyone to lead a healthy life.
As the public health institute in Texas we are also a member of the National Network of Public Health Institutes which is a social, financial and information network, connecting more than 8,000 subject-matter experts with organizational partners across the nation.
Basic Function: The Chief Strategy and Impact Officer (CSIO) provides vision, leadership, management support, and guidance to THI’s efforts/initiatives through alignment, strategy planning and implementation support, community, partner, and funder engagement. The CSIO ensures the institute’s impact goals are achieved and leads development, implementation, iteration, and evaluation of the institute’s strategic direction and priorities. The CSIO is a forward looking, experienced change maker, serves as a leader within the institute and in the public health, healthcare, philanthropic, nonprofit, and social sectors in the state and beyond. CSIO reports to the Executive Director and will be a member of the senior leadership team.
Leadership, Alignment, Impact, and Innovation:
- Under the advisement of the Board of Directors and in partnership with the Executive Director, leads and implements THI’s new strategic plan, as well as identifies, develops, and implements new initiatives that advance THI’s mission while being open and adaptable to changing needs and priorities
- Serves as a leader and as a member of the senior leadership team to strategically lead and strengthen THI’s efforts and capacity in advancing THI’s impact and role
- Works collaboratively within and outside the organization to ensure THI board, staff, partners, and funders are strategically aligned to reduce duplication, maximize potential, and amplify impact
- Assesses priorities, creates and executes timelines, continuously monitors and evaluates progress. Works with internal and external teams to successfully execute agreed upon strategies and develop related tasks;
- Demonstrates understanding and knowledge of THI, and the public health institute model to effectively create and implement impact driven strategies. Understands the local, state, and national public health, healthcare landscape and leads efforts to meaningfully engage and work alongside diverse stakeholder groups to systematically address short-term and long-term needs;
- Proactively pursues and cultivates local, state, and national development opportunities and partnerships that are consistent with THI mission, while being innovative and entrepreneurial
- Creates strategic partnerships to advance THI’s mission and impact. Knows key stakeholders and leaders; maintains and expands the network of partners. Builds skills, knowledge, and capacity to drive the organization to reach its full potential for scale and impact;
- Coordinates and collaborates with external partners on strategic initiatives and priorities and represents the institute as needed;
- Coordinates with existing and new funders to support current and emerging priorities
Growth and Development:
- Develops and pursues successful proposals. Builds support and partnerships to promote programs and projects that advance impact priorities in a scalable and sustainable manner;
- Engages in the general operations and financial aspects of the organization to effectively lead, manage, and align resources for top performance, including but not limited to financial statements and budgets;
- Negotiates appropriate roles, responsibilities, and compensation for staff and partners supported by contracts, fee for services agreements, and grants;
- Identifies and secures diversified funding streams and business model(s);
- Builds and leads a diverse team to accomplish THI’s mission and impact. Responsible for hiring and evaluation, delivering high performance and results and ensuring team members’ work is aligned with mission and strategy;
- Creates and supports a high performing culture and develops a team-based environment to motivate and inspire staff to work collaboratively towards THI vision and goals by implementing yearly staff development plans and mentoring. Coordinates with the leadership team to identify and create professional development opportunities for THI staff;
Other – Performs related duties as may be assigned by the Executive Director.
- Master’s degree or equivalent qualifications in public health, social services, non-profit management, business administration, or related field
- Minimum of eight years of experience in strategic planning, nonprofit management, leadership, and financial decision-making, along with a minimum 3 years of leadership experience in nonprofit, academia, government, or philanthropic sector
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills and demonstrated ability to leverage data and discover potential opportunities for growth and innovation
- Working knowledge of management strategies, financial accounting, human resource planning, partner relations, and implementation of new initiatives
- Knowledge of public health and healthcare topics and demonstrated ability to research issues, develop, implement, and evaluate strategies, prepare proposals and request for proposals
- Must be familiar with fundraising and revenue generation while maintaining a comprehensive and cohesive brand or identity
- Must be comfortable with public speaking and communicating both verbally and in writing
- Must be able to multitask with project commitments, funder and partner engagement, coordination with the leadership team, and acting as the public face of THI in the absence of the Executive Director
- Must be willing to challenge the standard thinking with new ideas, approaches, and solutions
- Demonstrated commitment to THI’s organizational values
- Entrepreneurialism and flexibility, with an ability to maneuver effectively in the face of uncertainty and transition
- Experience with MS Office applications, project management software/s, and financial/budgeting software/s
- Strong relationship builder with the ability to find common ground, build consensus, and strengthen collaboration among diverse stakeholders.
- Experience leading and/or scaling up multi-sectoral efforts
- Experience and motivation for systems thinking and/or health equity
- Recognition as a proven change agent and/or influencer
- Passion for public health and health system transformation
- Experience with development and/or implementation of innovative funding strategies
- Interest in technology and innovation
Position will be open until filled. We anticipate this being a highly competitive process. Only qualified candidates who meet the minimum requirements will be contacted.
Please complete and submit the linked THI job application along with your CV, cover letter, a brief summary (no more than 2 pages) of how you would have led THI’s response to COVID-19 if you were selected for this position, salary requirement, and three professional references. Please include all the documents listed above into one PDF attachment and email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
All documents must be received in order for your application to be considered.
Subject line: Attn: Chief Strategy and Impact Officer Application
View full position description here.