The Coordinator of Legislative Initiatives position offers a unique opportunity to represent the South Carolina Institute of Medicine & Public Health (IMPH), an independent 501(c)3 organization with the mission to collectively inform health and health care policy in South Carolina with members of the General Assembly, their staff and other elected officials to increase the Institute’s visibility and credibility as the go-to resource for nonpartisan information to inform health policy. Manage and execute all activities related to IMPH’s Health Policy Fellows Program and perform research and analysis to inform health and health care policy in South Carolina.
- Represent IMPH with members of the General Assembly, their staff and other elected officials to increase the Institute’s visibility and credibility as the go-to resource for nonpartisan information to inform health policy. This includes a presence at the State House and select legislative committee hearings during the legislative session, related meetings/events and fostering continued connections to all legislators and their staff with a focus on the Health Policy Fellows Program alumni. Maintain communication and connection with elected officials throughout year. Provide insight and guidance related to serving policymakers to the Executive Director and Associate Executive Director as appropriate.
- Track South Carolina agency budget requests and legislation and policy initiatives of interest to IMPH at the state and Federal level. In consultation with the Associate Executive Director, respond to information and research requests from elected officials and as needed, write and publish policy briefs on health and health care policy topics.
- Under the guidance of the Associate Executive Director oversee the ongoing development and delivery of all aspects of the Health Policy Fellows Program on the state and local level to include recruitment of participants, agenda and curriculum planning and development, recruitment of speakers and panelists and planning of meeting logistics.
- In consultation with Associate Executive Director and Senior Director, Strategic Engagement, develop and implement an evaluation and continuous quality improvement plan for the Health Policy Fellows Program.
- Support the Associate Executive Director and Senior Director, Strategic Engagement in writing grant proposals to support the mission of IMPH including the Health Policy Fellows Program.
- The successful candidate will have a college degree in related field and at least 1-2 years of experience. A Master’s degree with more than 2 years of experience would be ideal. All degrees must be conferred from a college, university or institution of higher education recognized by the U.S. Department of Education and Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).
- Knowledge of the policy development process in South Carolina.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Experience with synthesizing information and data translation and report reporting.
- Demonstrated understanding of health and health care policy.
- Experience in developing and maintaining positive relationships with diverse stakeholders and partners, particularly elected and appointed officials and their staff.
- Attention to detail, excellent customer service skills, flexibility in a dynamic environment and the ability to perform as part of a small team are essential for success.
- The ability to balance competing priorities, time management skills and follow-through are essential.
- Experience with collaborative partnership development.
- Experience with project or program management.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment, objectivity and diplomacy and the ability to analyze and communicate health and health care issues to a broad audience both verbally and in written formats.
- Oral and written communication, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to be self-directed and work independently as well as contribute as a part of a team.
- Ability to occasionally travel in and out of state.
- Strong problem-solving skills are essential.
Submit your resume to Julia Kampe at email@example.com