The National Network of Public Health Institutes (NNPHI) is an active network comprised of over 40 member public health institutes in over 30 states. Public health institutes are nonprofit organizations that improve the public’s health by fostering innovation, leveraging resources, and building partnerships across sectors, including government agencies, communities, the health care delivery system, media, and academia. NNPHI and its member institutes work together to implement public health policy and program initiatives throughout all 50 states. NNPHI offices are located in New Orleans and Washington, DC. Additional staff, consultants, members, and partners support NNPHI’s mission from several locations throughout the United States.
The National Center for Public Health Training at NNPHI collaborates with public health training centers, member public health institutes, and a wide range of national, state, tribal and local partners to build the capacity of the public health workforce.
NNPHI is seeking an experienced professional to serve as Program Manager for Performance-improvement initiatives. The Manager will oversee agenda development, in-person convening/training, and online activities. This position will be based in NNPHI’s Washington, DC office and requires travel of approximately 15%.
- Master’s degree in related field, plus 3-5 years of related postgraduate experience
- Strong experience supporting coalitions, boards, and other similar groups
- Comfort with facilitating planning and strategic thinking processes, including collaborative decision-making processes
- Strong writing skills, experience developing proposals and reports for funders
- Strong oral presentation skills
- Experience with event-planning/training-planning strongly preferred
- Familiarity with adult-learning principles and basic training methodologies
- Familiarity with the governmental public health system
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively on a team and with diverse partners
- Experience in a fast-paced environment: Flexibility with an ability to maneuver effectively in the face of uncertainty and transition
- Creativity and ability to leverage data and discover potential opportunities for growth and innovation
- Success mentoring and supervising staff and contractors
- Contribute to the development of an agenda for NNPHI’s performance improvement initiatives, including the support of state, local, tribal, and territorial health departments preparing to apply for accreditation or re-accreditation through the Public Health Accreditation Board (PHAB).
- Develop budgets and exercise budget discipline by making cost-effective decisions; carefully monitor and reconcile expenses; oversee multiple project budgets
- In collaboration with Convening Team, lead the design and implementation of two national meetings/trainings that reach up to 300 public health practitioners engaged in performance improvement — Public Health Improvement Training and the Open Forum for Quality Improvement and Innovation — includes developing and managing timelines, supporting project planning and implementation, and coordinating with NNPHI staff, funders, and key partners to achieve stated goals.
- Monitor national initiatives and trends in the field as well as innovations and best practices from other sectors to inform content development.
- Manage relationships with a broad set of partners with tact and diplomacy.
- Convene and coordinate with the event planning committees to develop and secure the content for the events.
- Coordinate with NNPHI convening team members to research site locations, draft RFPs, and negotiate venue and vendor contracts in a manner that is consistent with the best trade practices.
- Coordinate with team members to conduct site visits, as needed, to ensure venues continually uphold NNPHI’s standard of excellence and meet the specific programmatic needs of the events.
- Collaborate with team members to support the production of event marketing materials, including invitations, programs, agendas, mobile meeting app and online presence that capture and communicate the vision of the events. This will involve supporting the creative development, editing documents, and coordinating production with vendors.
- Develop and implement abstract submission and review processes. Execute event planning responsibilities seamlessly, including registration processes, program and logistics, coordination of speakers, communications with attendees, venue coordination, audio visual production (e.g., on-site AV, video conferencing and production) and all vendor logistics.
- Lead all aspects of on-site event production to ensure that NNPHI’s high standard is upheld.
- Oversee all post-event activities, including evaluation, dissemination of notes, etc.
- Facilitate supplementary learning opportunities, including webinars and communities of practice.
- Track and reconcile all expenses in order to satisfy “close-out” requirements for the event
- Identify technological tools to enhance and support NNPHI’s capacity and programs.
- Develop and provide leadership to high-performing, multi-disciplinary teams that engage staff, members, and contractors to achieve project/program goals.
- Collaborate with team members and stakeholders to document and share lessons learned both internally and externally.
- Facilitate national advisory boards and collaboratives among members, funders, and national partners engaged in advancing performance improvement in health.
- Salary is commensurate with education and experience.
- A highly competitive benefits package is offered to all NNPHI staff.
Please send CV, cover letter, salary requirement and three professional references to: firstname.lastname@example.org Subject line: Attn: Program Manager, Performance Improvement Initiatives
Equal Opportunity Employer