The National Network of Public Health Institutes (NNPHI) is an active network comprised of over 40 member public health institutes in over 32 states, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico. Public health institutes are nonprofit organizations that improve the public’s health by fostering innovation, leveraging resources, and building partnerships across sectors, including government agencies, communities, the health care delivery system, media, and academia. NNPHI and its member institutes work together to implement public health policy and program initiatives throughout all 50 states. NNPHI offices are located in New Orleans and Washington, DC. Additional staff, consultants, members, and partners support NNPHI’s mission from locations throughout the United States.
The NNPHI mission is to support national public health system initiatives and strengthen public health institutes to promote multi-sector activities resulting in measurable improvements of public health structures, systems, and outcomes. NNPHI’s vision is innovation-fostering public health institutes across the nation collaborating to improve population health.
NNPHI collaborates with its member public health institutes and a wide range of national, state, tribal and local partners to support public health initiatives. These collaborative efforts promote health equity, support public health and health systems collaboration, build capacity of the public health system, encourage health in all policies, and promote evidence-based public health practice. Additional information about NNPHI’s program areas and collaborative efforts with public health institutes is available at www.nnphi.org.
NNPHI seeks a Program Manager to support key programmatic work, expand partnerships, and leverage network capacity in the technical area of emergency preparedness, response and recovery (EPRR). The primary responsibility of the EPRR Program Manager will be to oversee several projects including the Hurricane Response Hub initiative, a coordinated effort among federal, state, and local public health organizations to enhance recovery from the 2017 hurricanes; Project Firstline, a COVID-related a healthcare infection prevention and control initiative; a disaster mortality surveillance project intended to improve disaster-related death reporting; and others. Secondary responsibilities will include developing the climate crisis-related proposals and supporting other NNPHI projects and initiatives, as needed. The EPRR Program Manager position will be based in NNPHI’s Washington, DC office and requires travel of approximately 15%. This is a full-time (40 hours per week), exempt position. Office hours are 8:00am to 5:00pm, Monday through Friday.
- Contribute to the development and expansion of the EPRR portfolio
- Plan, implement, and evaluate projects in the EPRR portfolio
- Develop and monitor workplans and budgets for projects
- Maintain and develop relationships with funding agencies (including federal agencies and private foundations)
- Serve as liaison to NNPHI contractors and consultants
- Contribute to the development of grant proposals and reports to funders
- Plan and implement EPRR-related sessions for NNPHI Annual Conference and other organizations’ conferences
- Manage internal relationships and resources to achieve project deliverables in within a “team culture”
- Collaborate with team members and stakeholders to document and share lessons learned both internally and externally
- Conduct other duties as assigned to fulfill NNPHI’s mission and values
- Bachelor’s degree with 3+ years of relevant professional experience in public health, emergency management, or related field is required; a Master’s degree in a related field with professional experience in project management is preferred
- Demonstrated project management experience including internal and external stakeholder relations, customer service, and successful implementation of projects/programs
- Ability to travel locally and out of state as needed (approximately 15% time)
Desired Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Familiarity with public health and emergency management including key national partners and their respective areas of work and expertise
- Demonstrated experience managing complex projects with multiple stakeholders in a fast-paced, high pressure environment
- Excellent time management skills and email management skills, including the ability to manage and stay current with a heavy volume of email inquiries
- Excellent communication skills, particularly the ability to communicate precisely and efficiently via email and phone with stakeholders from all background and levels of expertise
- Commitment to promoting collaboration and teamwork across organizational boundaries, and maintaining high standards for work products.
- Enthusiasm for advancing our mission and extending the reach of our work
- Comfort with use of multiple software and communication tools and systems
- Salary range is expected to be $60,000-70,000 and commensurate with education and experience
- NNPHI offers a highly competitive benefits package, including health insurance, contribution to parking/mass transit, generous retirement contribution and paid leave to all full-time staff
Please send CV, cover letter, writing samples, salary requirement, and three professional references to email@example.com with the subject line: Program Manager, Emergency Preparedness, Response, and Recovery
Equal Opportunity Employer