The National Network of Public Health Institutes (NNPHI) is the official organization representing over 40 public health institutes in more than 30 states spanning all ten Department of Health and Human Services regions. Public health institutes are nonprofit organizations that improve the public’s health by fostering innovation, leveraging resources, and building partnerships across sectors, including government agencies, communities, the health care delivery system, media, and academia. NNPHI and its member institutes work together to implement public health policy and program initiatives throughout all 50 states. NNPHI also serves as the National Coordinating Center for Public Health Training – NCCPHT.
The NNPHI mission is to support national public health system initiatives and strengthen public health institutes to promote multi-sector activities resulting in measurable improvements of public health structures, systems, and outcomes. NNPHI’s vision is innovation-fostering public health institutes across the nation collaborating to improve population health. NNPHI collaborates with its member public health institutes and a wide range of national, state and local partners to support public health initiatives. NCCPHT supports nationwide collaboration to build a sustainable and coordinated network of Regional Public Health Training Centers nationwide that work together in co-creating, modernizing, standardizing, and distributing evenly to all communities and Tribes quality training, tools, and resources that advance the nation’s public health workforce throughout all fifty states, tribal communities and five US territories.
NNPHI’s offices are located in New Orleans and Washington, DC. Additional information about NNPHI’s program areas and collaborative efforts with public health institutes is available at www.nnphi.org.
NNPHI is recruiting for a Program Associate to support planning and implementation of projects and activities that advance NNPHI’s mission. The Program Associate position supports key programmatic work in the technical area of public health emergency preparedness, response and recovery (EPRR). The primary responsibility of the EPRR Program Associate will be to support on-going EPRR projects including the Hurricane Response Hub (HRH) project that is enhancing recovery efforts in jurisdictions impacted by Hurricanes Harvey, Irma, and Maria in 2017; Project Firstline, a COVID-related a healthcare infection prevention and control initiative; and a disaster mortality surveillance project intended to improve disaster-related death reporting. Secondary responsibilities will include supporting other NNPHI projects and initiatives, as needed.
The EPRR Program Associate will work semi-independently and collaboratively with staff on multiple teams throughout NNPHI and actively support collaboration across NNPHI, our members, consultants, contractors, and partners.
NNPHI maintains offices in Washington, DC and New Orleans, Louisiana. Additional staff, consultants, members, and partners support NNPHI’s mission from several locations throughout the United States. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, this position will commence remotely. Ultimately, NNPHI requires the position will be based in Washington, DC.
This is a full-time (40 hours per week), non-exempt position based in NNPHI’s Washington, DC office. Office hours are 8:00am to 5:00pm, Monday through Friday.
The Program Associate will work closely with EPRR staff to support all activities associated with the EPRR portfolio. Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Support development of emergency preparedness, response & recovery expertise within NNPHI and its network
- Use personal initiative and collaboration skills to advance organizational goals
- Embrace a quality improvement and continuous learning model
- Collaborate with team members and stakeholders to document and share lessons learned
Support EPRR project management staff
- Set up conference calls, meetings, and workgroups
- Schedule regular check-in meetings with project teams
- Draft and disseminate meeting agendas and minutes
- Develop and update project timelines and work plans
- Manage contracting arrangements with consultants and contractors
- Draft, proofread, and edit documents/website content, including communications materials, project materials, presentations, reports, and the development of tables, charts, and figures
Support assigned projects within the EPRR portfolio
- Build client and contractor relationships
- Manage clients and client expectations
- Manage scopes of work and budgets
- Support contracting arrangements with consultants and contractors
Support NNPHI business development goals
- Assist with development of proposals
- Coordinate and/or support proposal development
- Contribute to the development of systems to support proposal processes
Perform other duties as assigned to fulfill NNPHI’s mission and values.
- Master’s degree in relevant field with professional experience is preferred; a bachelor’s degree with 2+ years professional experience is required
- Experience providing administrative and coordination support for programs
- Understanding of and an interest in public health emergency preparedness
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to work well with diverse partners and constituents and function as a productive member of a team
- Professionalism and sophistication in communications
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills, including the ability to manage multiple tasks and respond to multiple demands simultaneously
- Attention to detail and a strong value for high-quality work products
- Ability to think proactively, function independently, and demonstrate initiative
- Salary range is expected to be $45,000-$55,000 dependent on experience and qualifications.
- NNPHI offers a competitive benefit package to all full-time staff, including annual leave, health/dental/vision insurance and generous retirement contributions to a 401(k).
- Please clearly indicate your salary requirement in your cover letter.
Approximately 10% travel during non-COVID-19 conditions will be required
Please send a resume, three professional references, and a cover letter, clearly indicating interest in the position including salary requirements to email@example.com with the subject line: Attn: EPRR Program Associate.