The National Network of Public Health Institutes (NNPHI) seeks an experienced and entrepreneurial professional to serve as its Director of Research and Evaluation (Director of R&E). The Director of R&E will lead NNPHI’s Evidence to Action (E2A) portfolio team, implementing projects within the E2A portfolio and providing research and evaluation services across additional NNPHI portfolios. The Director of R&E will collaborate with NNPHI staff and subcontractors/sub-recipients to assure scientific integrity, rigor, and quality of all research and evaluation activities sponsored by NNPHI, in compliance with funder requirements. The Director of R&E will collaborate with staff and leaders throughout the network to develop and advance a research agenda that aligns with the organization’s mission. The successful candidate will demonstrate a track record of cultivating and sustaining resources to achieve research and evaluation priorities.
This position will be based in NNPHI’s Washington DC or New Orleans, LA office. Applicants should indicate preference of location in their application documentation.
- Provide leadership for NNPHI’s E2A portfolio
- Engage high performing staff, institute collaborators and strategic partners to deliver current research and evaluation projects
- Direct and assure quality performance of staff and evaluation contractors
- Serve as liaison to funders
- Monitor portfolio budget and individual project budgets
- Develop interim and closeout programmatic reports for funders
- Maintain and grow funding opportunities and strategic partnerships.
- Identify sustainable business models to fund evaluation and research activities
- Cultivate resources with existing and new funding partners to support research and evaluation priorities
- Obtain investigator-initiated grants, compete successfully for contracts, and expand the resource based available for support of NNPHI projects and infrastructure.
- Serve as Principal Investigator for evaluation-related contracting mechanisms, as needed
- Establish and negotiate new partnerships with local, state, and national organizations
- Manage relationships with a broad set of partners with tact and diplomacy
- Negotiate appropriate roles, responsibilities and compensation for staff and partners supported by contracts, fee for services agreements, and grants
- Leverage, disseminate, and translate research and evaluation findings to a variety of constituencies
- Collaborate with team members and stakeholders to effectively communicate results both internally and externally
- Build internal and network capacity to develop manuscripts and publications
- Create systems for using data to provide ongoing feedback and support to team members and partners for quality improvement purposes
- Use evaluation and research data for evidence-based policy and decision making
- Produce publications, presentations, research resources and briefing/white papers
- Build capacity to implement and manage quality research and evaluation initiatives and services with the network, including NNPHI staff and colleagues from member institutes:
- Oversee the development and design of research and evaluation plans, logic models, and data collection protocols and tools
- Ensure the efficient development, management, and security of data and data storage systems
- Ensure research and evaluation integrity and congruence with best practices in human subjects protection
- Provide training and technical guidance to staff in research and evaluation processes and data usage
- Provide leadership in strategic growth and development of the NNPHI Evidence to Action portfolio team
- Recruit, supervise, and mentor Evidence to Action team members and student interns
- In conjunction with NNPHI leadership, staff, and member institutes, develop and implement a shared vision and agenda for evaluation services and research initiatives
- Identify priorities based on input from internal and external stakeholders
- Develop a network strategy for research and evaluation initiatives
- Develop budgets to implement the strategy
- Doctoral degree or equivalent qualifications in public health, social sciences or health systems
- Minimum of ten years of related and progressively more responsible postgraduate experience in research, evaluation, and leadership
- Experience leading programmatic and fiscal components of large scale research and/or evaluation projects
- Proven experience conducting various research methodologies (including both qualitative and quantitative), statistical analysis, and translation and dissemination of research and evaluation findings
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively on a team and with diverse external partners
- Demonstrated project management and organizational skills, especially with time-sensitive work.
- Ability to compose reports, presentations, and written communication in an organized, logical, and concise manner.
- Demonstrated budget management experience, especially with federally-funded projects.
- Experience with IDIQ contract mechanisms preferred
- Proven track record of successful business development yielding resources from diverse funding partners
- Passion for and experience in establishing new projects and securing new funding
- Interest in multi-sector initiatives that yield innovative solutions to improve the health of populations
- Experience in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment with a strong focus on metrics and data-driven decision making
- Deep creativity and an ability to leverage data and discover potential opportunities for growth and innovation
- Entrepreneurialism and flexibility, with an ability to maneuver effectively in the face of uncertainty and transition
- Success mentoring and supervising senior professional staff and managing contractors
- Experience with MS Office applications, Salesforce CRM, and financial/budgeting software
- Experience with research and evaluation software packages including statistical analysis packages (e.g., SAS, Stata, R), qualitative evaluation software, survey software (e.g., Qualtrics)
- Resolve work-related problems promptly, using good judgment in escalating important issues
Salary range is commensurate with qualifications and location of the position. NNPHI offers a highly competitive and benefits package, including medical/dental/vision/FSA/parking/transportation, generous retirement contributions and annual leave.
Travel: Approximately 20% of travel will be required.
Please send CV, cover letter, salary requirement and three professional references to:
Subject line: Attn: Director of R&E
Please indicate in your cover letter your salary requirement and preference for work location (New Orleans or Washington, DC office).
The National Network of Public Health Institutes (NNPHI) is an active network of 40 plus member public health institutes and training centers across the United States. Public health institutes are nonprofit organizations that improve the public’s health by fostering innovation, leveraging resources, and building partnerships across sectors. In its role as the National Coordinating Center for Public Health Training, NNPHI collaborates with public health training centers, member public health institutes, and a wide range of national, state, tribal and local partners to build the capacity of the public health workforce through in-person and online training (www.phlearningnavigator.org), team coaching, and applied learning collaboratives.
Equal Opportunity Employer