The National Network of Public Health Institutes (NNPHI) is an active network comprised of over 40 member public health institutes in over 32 states, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico. Public health institutes are nonprofit organizations that improve the public’s health by fostering innovation, leveraging resources, and building partnerships across sectors, including government agencies, communities, the health care delivery system, media, and academia. NNPHI and its member institutes work together to implement public health policy and program initiatives throughout all 50 states. NNPHI offices are located in New Orleans and Washington, DC. Additional staff, consultants, members, and partners support NNPHI’s mission from locations throughout the United States.
NNPHI is seeking an experienced professional to serve as Director, Emergency Preparedness, Response and Recovery (EPRR). This position builds on NNPHI’s track record of strengthening the capacity of the public health workforce and will oversee and expand a portfolio of initiatives focused on emergency preparedness, response and recovery related to public health emergencies from natural or human made disasters, including but not limited to climate-related and other incidents requiring response to protect the public’s health. Applicants should indicate their preference to work in NNPHI offices located in New Orleans or Washington, DC. The position requires approximately 15% travel.
- Masters degree or equivalent qualifications in public health, public safety, emergency management, health systems, or related field and ten plus years of related postgraduate experience
- Strong writing skills, experience developing proposals and technical reports for funding partners
- Strong oral presentation skills
- Strong experience developing and supporting collabortive intiatives
- Familiarity with the governmental emergency management and public health systems
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively on a team and with diverse partners
- Experience in a fast-paced environment
- Creativity and ability to leverage data and discover potential opportunities for growth and innovation
- In partnership with NNPHI leadership, staff, and member institutes, develop and implement a shared vision and agenda for EPRR initiatives
- Identify priorities based on input from internal and external stakeholders
- Engage high performing staff, institute collaborators and strategic partners in research and evaluation projects
- Develop and monitor budgets for EPRR initiatives
- Direct and assure quality performance of all subawardees and technical contractors
- Identify and develop funding opportunities and strategic partnerships
- Identify sustainable business models to fund EPRR activities
- Cultivate resources with new funding partners to support EPRR priorities
- Obtain investigator-initiated grants, compete successfully for contracts, and expand the resource based available for support of NNPHI projects and infrastructure
- Establish and negotiate new partnerships with local, state, tribal and national organizations
- Manage relationships with a broad set of partners with tact and diplomacy
- Negotiate appropriate roles, responsibilities and compensation for staff and partners supported by contracts, fees for services, and grants
- Build capacity to implement and manage quality EPRR initiatives and services with the network, including NNPHI staff and colleagues from member institutes:
- Oversee the development and design of EPRR plans, logic models, and training protocols and tools
- Provide training and technical guidance to staff in EPRR models
- Provide leadership in strategic growth and development of the EPRR portfolio team
- Recruit, supervise, and mentor EPRR team members and student interns
- Leverage, disseminate, and translate research and evaluation findings to a variety of constituencies
- Collaborate with team members and stakeholders to effectively communicate results both internally and externally
- Build internal and network capacity to develop manuscripts and publications
- Use research data for evidence-based policy and decision making
- Produce publications, presentations, research resources and briefing/concept papers
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
- Passion for and experience in establishing new projects and securing new funding
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively on a team and with diverse external partners
- Fervent interest in multi-sector initiatives that yield innovative solutions to improve the health of populations
- Experience in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment with a strong focus on metrics and data-driven decision making
- Deep creativity and an ability to leverage data and discover potential opportunities for growth and innovation
- Entrepreneurialism and flexibility
- Proven track record of successful business development yielding resources from diverse funding partners
- Experience leading programmatic and fiscal components of large scale research and/or evaluation projects
- Success mentoring and supervising senior professional staff and managing subawardees and technical contractors
- Experience with emergency management mitigation, response, preparedness and recovery initiatives
- Experience working with state/county agencies on review/revision of their plans and procedures to ensure compliance with National Incident Management System (NIMS), CPG 101, EMAP and related local, state or federal regulations
- Experience in disaster-related epidemiology
- Experience conducting emergency preparedness educational and community outreach
- Experience creating, facilitating, and leading diverse workgroups
- Develop and provide leadership to high-performing, multi-disciplinary teams that engage staff, members, and contractors to achieve project/program goals.
- Collaborate with team members and stakeholders to document and share lessons learned both internally and externally.
- Facilitate national advisory boards and collaboratives among members, funding partners, and national partners engaged in EPRR efforts.
- Salary is commensurate with education and experience.
- A highly competitive benefits package is offered to all NNPHI staff.
Please send CV, cover letter, salary requirement and three professional references to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject line: Attn: Director, Emergency Preparedness, Response, and Recovery
Equal Opportunity Employer