The National Network of Public Health Institutes (NNPHI) is an active network comprised of over forty-member public health institutes located throughout all ten Health and Human Services regions. NNPHI also serves as the National Coordinating Center for Public Health Training (NCCPHT) and hosts an affiliate network of ten Regional Public Health Training Centers (Regional PHTCs) serving all fifty states and US territories. Public health institutes (PHIs) are nonprofit organizations that improve the public’s health by fostering innovation, leveraging resources, and building partnerships across sectors, including government agencies, communities, the health care delivery system, media, and academia. NNPHI and its member institutes work together to implement public health policy and program initiatives throughout the nation. NNPHI offices are located in New Orleans and Washington, DC.
The NNPHI mission is to support national public health system initiatives and strengthen public health institutes to promote multi-sector activities resulting in measurable improvements of public health structures, systems, and outcomes. NNPHI’s vision is innovation-fostering public health institutes across the nation collaborating to improve population health.
NNPHI collaborates with its member public health institutes and a wide range of national, state, tribal and local partners to support public health initiatives. These collaborative efforts promote health equity, support public health and health systems collaboration, build capacity of the public health system, encourage health in all policies, and promote evidence-based public health practice. Additional information about NNPHI’s program areas and collaborative efforts with public health institutes is available at www.nnphi.org.
The National Network of Public Health Institutes (NNPHI) serves as the fiscal agent for the Oral Health Progress and Equity Network, Inc. (OPEN, Inc.). As the fiscal agent, NNPHI provides interim support for administrative needs, human resources, and funds control along with access to a depth of expertise, knowledge, and partners. OPEN, Inc., serves as the backbone organization of the Oral Health Progress and Equity Network (OPEN). OPEN believes that oral health is vital to overall health, yet there are barriers in place, which, like locked doors, prevent people from accessing oral care. The Oral Health Progress and Equity Network (OPEN) will not stand for this failure to live up to our ideals as a nation by leaving people to suffer unjustly and unnecessarily from preventable oral health issues. Our purpose as a network is to take on America’s oral health challenges so that everyone has an equitable chance to thrive. Our change agents won’t stop until everyone has the keys, they need to fully access good oral health. Over the last decade, OPEN has emerged from a nationwide conversation among policymakers, providers, public health activists, and grassroots organizers who acknowledge that the system of healthcare we have in place today is not working for people’s overall health and wellbeing, and that it’s time to work together to build a better reality. The Network of over 2,000 change agents and organizations collaborates to work towards specific and measurable targets to achieve over the next decade. The backbone of the network, OPEN, Inc. was formed in 2019 to support this oral health work and to address health equity and social justice.
OPEN, Inc. is seeking an experienced professional to serve as Development Lead for OPEN, Inc. The Lead will oversee the design, development, and implementation of a development plan for OPEN, Inc., ensuring a vibrant, sustainable, and autonomous organization. This position will be virtual and may require travel of approximately 35% in adherence with travel guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Master’s degree in a related field and at least three to five years of related experience required.
- Demonstrated track record of fundraising successes, relationship development, and organizational sustainability required.
- Previous experience designing and managing grant-funding strategies and/or business plans for a national or large nonprofit organization required.
- At least three years of experience as a leader within the OPEN infrastructure preferred.
- Comfort engaging with and facilitating group processes, including collaborative decision making, conversations around race and equity, and supporting large-scale collaborative implementation efforts preferred.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
- Develop and oversee implementation of a plan for supporting the sustainability of OPEN, Inc. with a diverse, broad-based, multi-million dollar funding stream that allows for long-term organizational planning and adherence to OPEN, Inc.’s core mission and vision.
- Coordinate submission of all grant funding proposals, contract bids, and responses to open funding opportunities.
- Be accountable for the administration of grant and contract reporting requirements, as well as successful fulfillment of grant deliverables.
- Identify, on an ongoing basis, critical relationships to be developed, and facilitate connections among OPEN, Inc. staff and key stakeholders.
- Identify, on an ongoing basis, funding opportunities of interest to OPEN, Inc. in a strategic, forward-looking manner such that OPEN, Inc. is positioned to be a competitive applicant for funding opportunities of interest.
- Develop an ongoing strategy for OPEN, Inc. visibility in forums necessary to build key relationships, expand its national (and possibly international) presence, highlight the value of the organization, and expand opportunities for funding.
- Create and implement a plan for ongoing assessment and evaluation of the development strategy, including goals developed in partnership with the Executive and Associate Directors.
- Provide support for both virtual and in-person meetings.
- Conduct outreach to and engage with new members virtually and at in-person meetings.
Ideal Candidates Will Demonstrate Capacity in the Following Areas:
- Builds and fosters effective and trusting partnerships including colleagues, partners, members, and funders.
- Identifies and engages new potential partners as a matter of habit
- Recognizes and engages the skills, expertise, and resources of others in shared work.
- Applies self-awareness and empathy to foster effective relationships.
- Demonstrates ability to understand when to follow, when to take initiative, and when to ask questions.
- Continuously learns and improves by seeking and offering feedback, coaching, and training opportunities when available/appropriate.
- Embraces challenges, new ideas, and perspectives as an opportunity to learn.
- Adapts as industries and environments change, while managing associated risks.
- Generates and implements new approaches and creative solutions.
- Scans environment for opportunities to advance OPEN, Inc.’s mission and extend the reach of its work nationally.
- Produces quality work products and adheres to (partner and/or funder) agreed upon work plans.
- Uses data, experience, and evidence-based approaches to inform decisions and improve systems.
- Stewards existing resources, seeks opportunities, and generates new resources to support the mission.
- Salary range of $75,000 – $90,000 commensurate with education and experience.
- A highly competitive benefits package is offered to all NNPHI staff.
Please send CV, cover letter (including information on largest funding secured), salary requirement and three professional references to: firstname.lastname@example.org with a subject line of OPEN, Inc., Development Lead
Equal Opportunity Employer