The National Network of Public Health Institutes (NNPHI) is an active network comprised of over 40 member public health institutes in over 32 states, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico. Public health institutes are nonprofit organizations that improve the public’s health by fostering innovation, leveraging resources, and building partnerships across sectors, including government agencies, communities, the health care delivery system, media, and academia. NNPHI and its member institutes work together to implement public health policy and program initiatives throughout all 50 states. NNPHI offices are located in New Orleans and Washington, DC. Additional staff, consultants, members, and partners support NNPHI’s mission from locations throughout the United States.
The NNPHI mission is to support national public health system initiatives and strengthen public health institutes to promote multi-sector activities resulting in measurable improvements of public health structures, systems, and outcomes. NNPHI’s vision is innovation-fostering public health institutes across the nation collaborating to improve population health.
NNPHI collaborates with its member public health institutes and a wide range of national, state and local partners to support public health initiatives. These collaborative efforts promote health equity, support public health and health systems collaboration, build capacity of the public health system, encourage health in all policies, and promote evidence-based public health practice. Additional information about NNPHI’s program areas and collaborative efforts with public health institutes is available at www.nnphi.org.
NNPHI and its broad network of members, public health training centers, and partners, are actively engaged in efforts to improve public health systems, structures, and outcomes through public health research, policy, programming, and educational activities. In order to ensure the broadest benefit of these for the public health field and the communities it serves, it is imperative to assure we are adequately reaching target audiences.
The person who fills this position will have both communications expertise and project management experience to guide a communications associate and multiple contractors/vendors to plan, design, implement, and manage various communications and outreach activities aimed at:
- Increasing recruitment and retention in learning opportunities and programs,
- Disseminating important evaluation and research findings, and
- Elevating visibility and positive awareness of the full NNPHI network.
NNPHI maintains offices in Washington, DC and New Orleans, Louisiana. Additional staff, consultants, members, and partners support NNPHI’s mission from several locations throughout the United States. This position will be based in either NNPHI’s New Orleans or Washington, DC office.
- Support leadership to identify and execute a communication and outreach strategy that identifies priority focus areas and measurable strategic goals. Proactively work with staff and the member network to implement activities in support of these strategic goals.
- Develop system to regularly report analytics and recommendations on how to improve the reach and effectiveness of NNPHI’s communications across all channels.
- Engage multiple audiences to increase visibility, thought leadership, and brand awareness.
- Cultivate new relationships with media outlets
- Communication of messages during times of crisis
- Technical assistance to partners (e.g., communications toolkits)
- Act as a connector across project teams to integrate project-level lessons learned across the organization.
- Develop innovative and compelling content for multimedia materials (video, photography, tweets, text, blogs, etc.), reports, and other products.
- Guide communications products through appropriate NNPHI internal review (e.g., editing, content review, and brand guidelines) and funders’ clearance processes (per funders’ communications guidelines)
- Gather and review feedback on content from editors and subject matter experts, and revise content appropriately. Manage the design, content, information architecture, content strategy, and content layout. Oversee and inform pre and post-production quality control processes.
- Maintain NNPHI’s internal communications plan
- Manage multiple and ongoing communications activities across the organization, including writing, designing, and producing reports, press releases, infographics, promotional emails, editorials and announcements, recruitment campaigns, brochures, and other documents.
- Help maintain organizational websites (nnphi.org, www.phlearingnavigator.org, http://opioids.nnphi.org/) by keeping information up-to-date and accurate. Lead updates to redesign of website as funding permits.
- A master’s degree in a relevant field plus 5 years of professional experience
- Experience in public health, public policy, social services, or non-profit organizations or associations preferred.
- Strong interpersonal skills necessary to effectively work with colleagues, partner organizations and a variety of high-ranking professionals
- Ability to take initiative, solve problems creatively and work independently
- Demonstrated effectiveness in a project management role, with an ability to establish and document processes and experience managing project budgets.
- Ability to be flexible and positive a fast-paced, team-oriented environment.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple assignments simultaneously including setting and meeting deadlines. Sharp attention to detail and capacity to deliver quality products within tight deadlines.
- Experience translating technical or jargon-heavy information into plain language
- Comfortable with digital-based work, especially digital project management, collaboration tools, and video conferencing
- Excellent writing and editing skills with demonstrated ability to capture a story
- Website development/management experience strongly preferred
- Competency and experience in the use of relevant software packages (Mail Chimp, WordPress, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) as well as comfort with quickly learning and utilizing multiple software and online programs (e.g., Salesforce, Buffer, Smartsheets, Canva, Zoom Google Drive, Dropbox)
Salary/Benefits: Salary range is commensurate with qualifications and location of the position. A highly competitive benefits package is offered to all NNPHI staff.
Travel: Approximately quarterly travel will be required.
Please send a cover letter, including salary requirements, and a resume to email@example.com with the subject line: Attn: Associate Director, Communications. Please indicate in your cover letter your salary requirement and preference for work location (New Orleans or Washington, DC office).