Updated Posting (9.11.20)
The National Network of Public Health Institutes (NNPHI) is the official organization representing over 40 public health institutes in more than 30 states spanning all ten Department of Health and Human Services regions. Public health institutes are nonprofit organizations that improve the public’s health by fostering innovation, leveraging resources, and building partnerships across sectors, including government agencies, communities, the health care delivery system, media, and academia. NNPHI and its member institutes work together to implement public health policy and program initiatives throughout all 50 states. NNPHI also serves as the National Coordinating Center for Public Health Training – NCCPHT.
The NNPHI mission is to support national public health system initiatives and strengthen public health institutes to promote multi-sector activities resulting in measurable improvements of public health structures, systems, and outcomes. NNPHI’s vision is innovation-fostering public health institutes across the nation collaborating to improve population health. NNPHI collaborates with its member public health institutes and a wide range of national, state and local partners to support public health initiatives. NCCPHT supports nationwide collaboration to build a sustainable and coordinated network of Regional Public Health Training Centers nationwide that work together in co-creating, modernizing, standardizing, and distributing evenly to all communities and Tribes quality training, tools, and resources that advance the nation’s public health workforce throughout all fifty states, tribal communities and five US territories.
NNPHI’s offices are located in New Orleans and Washington, DC. Additional information about NNPHI’s program areas and collaborative efforts with public health institutes is available at www.nnphi.org.
NNPHI and its broad network of members, public health training centers, and partners, are actively engaged in efforts to improve public health systems, structures, and outcomes through public health research, policy, programming, and educational activities. In order to ensure the broadest benefit of these for the public health field and the communities it serves, it is imperative to assure we are adequately reaching target audiences.
The person who fills this position will have both communications expertise and project management experience to guide a communications associate and multiple contractors/vendors to plan, design, implement, and manage various communications and outreach activities aimed at:
- Increasing recruitment and retention in learning opportunities and programs for public health professionals,
- Building organizational authority, credibility, and relevance across sectors and in relevant publications and media outlets,
- Working with members, partners, and funders to raise awareness about the importance and impact of public health—and public health institutes—among key audiences,
- Disseminating important evaluation and research findings, and
- Elevating visibility and positive awareness of the full NNPHI network.
NNPHI maintains offices in Washington, DC and New Orleans, Louisiana. Additional staff, consultants, members, and partners support NNPHI’s mission from several locations throughout the United States. This position will be based in either NNPHI’s New Orleans or Washington, DC, office.
- Support leadership to develop, execute, and evaluate an integrated communication and outreach strategy that identifies priority focus areas and measurable strategic goals.
- Assist program leadership with communication goal-setting and evaluation on a biannual basis.
- Proactively work with staff and the member network to implement communication strategies, tactics, and activities in support of organizational strategic goals and individual project- or program-based communication goals and objectives.
- Serve as the communications lead for the National Coordinating Center for Public Health Training.
- Plan and facilitate regular communications meetings with staff, partners, and contractors.
- Develop and maintain a system to regularly report digital and earned media analytics and insights with senior leadership and program staff and provide regular recommendations on how to improve the reach and effectiveness of NNPHI’s communications across all channels.
- Engage multiple audiences to increase organizational and network visibility, credibility, thought leadership, and brand awareness.
- Cultivate and leverage relationships with relevant journalists, publications, and media outlets across print, television, radio, and digital channels.
- Develop a crisis communication plan and lead organizational efforts to respond effectively in crises and emergencies.
- Provide communications technical assistance to members and partners (e.g., communications toolkits, strategic communications support, etc.).
- Act as a connector across project teams to help communicate the breadth of NNPHI’s activities, leverage opportunities to share information with emerging audiences, and integrate project-level lessons learned across the organization.
- Develop innovative and compelling content for multimedia materials (video, photography, tweets, text, blogs, etc.), reports, and other products.
- Guide communications products through appropriate NNPHI internal review (e.g., editing, content review, and brand guidelines) and funders’ clearance processes (per funders’ communications guidelines).
- Gather and review feedback on content from editors and subject matter experts, and revise content appropriately.
- Manage the design, content, information architecture, content strategy, and content layout for print and digital communication products and publications.
- Oversee and inform pre and post-production quality control processes.
- Manage the successful completion of multiple and ongoing communications activities across the organization, including writing, designing, and producing reports, press releases, infographics, emails, editorials and announcements, recruitment campaigns, brochures, and other documents.
- Help maintain organizational websites (nnphi.org, www.phlearingnavigator.org, http://opioids.nnphi.org/, etc.) by keeping information up-to-date and accurate. Lead updates to redesign of website as funding permits.
- Support the growth and development of communications staff and other team members, as appropriate.
- Develop, manage, and monitor multiple project budgets.
- Master’s degree plus 5-7 years professional experience in communications, marketing, public relations, or closely related field.
- Experience in public health, public policy, social services, or non-profit organizations or associations preferred.
- Strong interpersonal skills necessary to effectively work with colleagues, partner organizations and a variety of high-ranking professionals.
- Ability to take initiative, solve problems creatively and work independently
- Demonstrated effectiveness in a project management role, with an ability to establish and document processes and experience managing project budgets.
- Ability to be flexible and positive a fast-paced, team-oriented environment.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple assignments simultaneously including setting and meeting deadlines. Sharp attention to detail and capacity to deliver quality products within tight deadlines.
- Experience translating technical or jargon-heavy information into plain language.
- Comfortable with digital-based work, especially digital project management, collaboration tools, and video conferencing.
- Excellent writing and editing skills with demonstrated ability to capture a story.
- Website development/management experience strongly preferred.
- Competency and experience in the use of relevant software packages (Mail Chimp, WordPress, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) as well as comfort with quickly learning and utilizing multiple software and online programs (e.g., Salesforce, Buffer, Smartsheets, Canva, Zoom Google Drive, Dropbox).
Salary range is commensurate with qualifications and location of the position. A highly competitive benefits package is offered to all full-time NNPHI staff.
Approximately 5% travel during non-COVID-19 conditions will be required
Please send a cover letter, including salary requirements, and a resume to email@example.com with the subject line: Attn: Associate Director, Communications. Please indicate in your cover letter your salary requirement and preference for work location (New Orleans or Washington, DC office).