NMF seeks to hire an energetic Program Director to lead the implementation of projects within the Clinical Research Portfolio / Post-graduate Programs. The growing portfolio includes the Diversity in Clinical Trials Career Development Program (DCTCDP) funded by the Bristol Myers Squibb Foundation and the NMF Diverse Clinical Investigator Training Institute (DCITI). Both of these programs seek to increase the number of underrepresented minority clinical investigators as part of the strategy to increase the diversity of patients enrolled in clinical trials and enhance the development of community-informed therapeutics for all populations. Sponsorship funds, training, and tools will be provided to participating emerging investigators to support the implementation of clinical trials.
National Medical Fellowships (NMF), founded in 1946, is the nation’s premier organization providing scholarships for medical students and healthcare professionals from groups underrepresented in medicine. NMF’s vision is to empower and support aspiring physicians and health professionals underrepresented in medicine to contribute to the health of our nation. We envision a diverse healthcare workforce which will have the leadership, commitment, and cultural competency to achieve health equity. NMF’s mission is to provide scholarships and support for underrepresented minority students in medicine and the health professions.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual with project and team management experience to implement new programs and develop a portfolio of related projects and services. The successful candidate will lead the portfolio, partner with the Chief Program Officer (CPO), and work collaboratively with staff and partners throughout NMF. The Program Director oversees the implementation and management of all activities related to the Clinical Research Portfolio / Post-graduate Programs. This position involves supervision of program and administrative staff assigned to the Clinical Research Portfolio / Post-graduate Programs team and works collaboratively with staff throughout NMF. This position reports to the Chief Program Officer.
Project Management and Administration
- Collaborate with the Chief Program Officer to develop and implement programs and strategies that increase the diversity of clinical trials investigators
- Design and implement training curricula and resources that support the clinical trials programs and participants
- Ensure that Clinical Research Portfolio / Post-graduate Programs activities are implemented in accordance with NMF’s policies and procedures, and consistent with funders’ expectations
- Develop processes, forms, and records to support efficient implementation, documentation, and evaluation of program activities
- Supervise Clinical Research Portfolio / Post-graduate Programs staff by providing direction and performance feedback
- Ensure that programs operate within approved budgets
- Contribute to NMF’s ongoing work to advance equity, including inviting a deep and sustained focus on racial equity, diversity, and inclusion
- Serve as the primary liaison with funding partners and key program stakeholders including the National Advisory Committee and program mentors
- Create an infrastructure and processes that engage clinical investigators in training
- Develop positive connections with prospective, participating, and alumni in the clinical trials investigator programs
- Promote the scholarship opportunity to diverse audiences and potential candidates
Monitoring, Evaluation, and Reporting
- Monitor program activities on a regular basis and conduct annual assessments as required by funders
- Provide frequent reports of evaluation findings to the CPO and recommend changes to enhance the program, as appropriate
- Finalize, approve, and submit all Clinical Research Portfolio / Post-graduate Programs reports to funders and NMF management (as requested)
- At minimum, a BA/BS degree in nursing or other health professions, education, public health, or health care administration
- A minimum of 4 years of direct supervisory and management experience
- At least 2 years experience in clinical research, managing or coordinating clinical trials strongly preferred
- Experience in developing and evaluating program models, and selecting and successfully operationalizing innovative programs a plus
- Proficient use of emerging technology to develop and implement program administration, management, and evaluation systems
- Strong project management skills resulting in measurable successes and program growth
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; experience communicating with diverse groups and able to tailor messages to diverse audiences
- Behave Ethically: Understand ethical behavior and business practices, and ensure that own behavior and the behavior of others is consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organization
- Foster Teamwork: Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness
- Organize and Plan: Determine strategies that will move projects forward, set goals, create, and implement actions plans, and evaluate the process and result
- Small, collegial, enthusiastic team that shares a strong commitment to facilitating growth of a diverse health workforce. The team is committed to increasing access to healthcare and improving health outcomes to underserved populations.
- NMF has a virtual remote working environment with team members based in New Orleans, New York, and Washington DC. However, location in the Washington DC area is preferred.
- Anticipated domestic travel of up to 30%.
- This position carries a competitive salary, commensurate with experience, and a generous benefits package, including: paid time off; medical, dental and vision benefits; LTD; STD; Life Insurance; and 401K matching plan.
Applications should be submitted electronically to email@example.com. Please include the position title in the email Subject. Example: POSITION: Program Director, Clinical Research Portfolio/ Post-graduate Programs. Applications must include:
- A one-page cover letter
NMF values a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture — people of color, women, individuals with disabilities, immigrants, and people from other underrepresented communities are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
NMF does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, age, creed, religion, physical ability, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, sexual orientation, previous incarceration, veteran status, union membership or activism, or any other characteristic protected by local, state, or federal law.