This position will serve as a Health Equity Consultant responsible for participating in the design, and facilitation of trainings with public health professionals and interested community members. This position is responsible for the consultation, analyses, and innovation of projects in the area of health equity and social justice as an effort to transform the practice of public health within a social justice framework.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Facilitation and Client Consultation
- Facilitate and conduct Health Equity and Social Justice workshops and Learning Labs.
- Provide technical assistance and community outreach as requested.
- Provide learning experiences in multiple formats (e.g. in person, webinars, virtual meetings, web-based courses) using a variety of techniques (e.g. small and large group exercises, case studies and scenarios, assessments).
- Develop and plan project activities.
- Analyze project needs, develop work plans and timelines, implement project activities, develop policies and procedures.
- Work with the client to identify and prioritize project tasks and coordinate project tasks with team members on the project.
- Monitor task status and participate in proactive planning to maintain project schedules.
- Designs and modifies training materials and educational models to meet client needs.
- Review and analyze the effectiveness and relevance of existing curricula for the Health Equity and Social Justice Workshops and Learning Labs and develop strategies for improving or further leveraging these applications.
Provide Content Expertise
- Encourage experimentation, new ideas and innovation as it relates to equity and social justice with both CHEP and its stakeholders.
- Maintain knowledge of industry best practices and trends through research, external networking, and membership/participation in key organizations.
- Remain current on literature in key programmatic areas.
- Serve as an internal consultant to CHEP, as required to support the overall strategy of serving as a national thought leader on equity and social justice.
- Provide technical assistance across projects for a root cause/structural analysis of health equity and social justice to both CHEP and its stakeholders.
Contribute to CHEP and MPHI Stability and Influence in the field
- Assist in writing progress reports, grants, and contract applications as necessary.
- Build institute internal capacity by helping to establish a team of trained facilitators for the Health Equity and Social Justice Workshops and Learning Labs.
- Serve on task forces, committees, etc., as necessary to achieve the desired outcomes of specific projects and facilitate the development of linkages between the institute and other organizations engaged in similar activities.
- Establish and maintain positive, strong, credible, professional and interpersonal relationships with all parties relevant to MPHI projects.
- Maintain and represent the best interests of MPHI at all times.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education: Possession of a bachelor’s in health, public health or public health related fields such as health education, public administration with a health care administration concentration, behavioral or social science.
Experience: Three to Five years of professional experience in an equivalent position of this type. Content expertise in the area of Health Equity & Social Justice required. Ability to work at the community level with diverse groups of people, concerning often sensitive topics. Desirable: Experience working with and providing trainings to community-based organizations and/or public health professionals.
Important Skills and Characteristics:
- Commitment to health equity and serving the under resourced populations.
- Requires considerable independent judgment and a high level of initiative and accountability.
- Excellent oral and written communications.
- Ability to effectively communicate with diplomacy and to facilitate groups under challenging circumstances.
- Able to work well in team situations.
- Self- motivated, able to conceptualize changing systems, and effectively and efficiently implement new program direction.
- Complete work in timely manner and handle multiple tasks at one time with minimal or no supervision.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications and familiarity with email/internet browser software.
Work Environment and Physical Requirements: Job may require moderate physical effort including lifting materials and equipment of <25# and involves viewing a CRT or VDT screen 30%-50% of the time and responding to phone inquiries. Standard office environment. Requires valid vehicle operator’s license where needed to perform duties of the position. Frequent deadlines. In-state travel for training and/or meetings and out-of-state travel for responsibilities related to funding and duties.
RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE WORK OF OTHERS: Occasional leader – Lead some projects and serve as a team member on others.
IMPACT ON PROJECTS, SERVICES AND OPERATIONS: This position has substantial impacts on the integrity and quality of MPHI products and activities. Competent performance in this position has a substantial impact on the integrity and professional reputation of MPHI including meeting the needs of MPHI clients in a timely manner, maintaining professional relationships, and enhancing the future potential future contracts with clients.