The Louisiana Public Health Institute (LPHI), founded in 1997, is a statewide 501(c)(3) nonprofit and public health institute that translates evidence into strategy to optimize health ecosystems. Our work focuses on uncovering complementary connections across sectors to combine the social and economic capital and people needed to align action for health. We champion health for people, within systems, and throughout communities because we envision a world where everyone has the opportunity to be healthy.
LPHI’s strategies span a broad continuum of efforts that seek to address the social determinants of health in communities and enhance health care systems to improve health outcomes. LPHI prioritizes prevention, partnerships with multiple sectors, increased access to quality, integrated care and social services, and solutions that influence decision makers and policies that drive progress toward equity locally and nationally.
Through a multi-sector approach, LPHI’s work supports the following focus areas: Behavioral Health, Clinical Transformation, Healthy Communities, Health Services Research, HIV/STI, Family Health, and Tobacco Prevention and Control.
Reporting directly to the CEO, as a member of the Senior Leadership Team, the Chief Program and Operations Officer (CPOO) provides high-level, organization-wide, collaborative direction and support, and thought leadership to LPHI programs, operations, staff and partners to ensure effective alignment of strategies to create systems of health, well-being, prevention and care and resources to achieve the organization’s Mission and Vision. The CPOO will work closely with other members of the Senior Leadership Team to co-create vision, strategy, and impact of LPHI while providing leadership and management of program and communications staff.
- Master’s degree in public health, social sciences, health systems or related field required
- 10+ year’s substantial professional experience in senior, strategic leadership position in mission-driven environment
- Demonstrated understanding and support of LPHI’s Vision and Mission.
- Commitment to and experience with advancing health equity through program and policy approaches designed to improve the public’s health
- Experience in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment; flexibility with an ability to maneuver effectively in the face of uncertainty and transition
- Track record of effectively leading an organization with a complex array of programs and ability to leverage strengths across program areas; excellent project management skills
- Specific experience in successfully leading organizational transformation projects and program development
- Demonstrated experience in program budgeting and fiscal management
- Demonstrated experience assessing and integrating technology solutions to support collaboration, communication and efficient management.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Co-Create Vision, Strategy, Goals
- Share responsibility with CEO, Chief Data Officer, and Chief Financial Officer (Senior Leadership Team) to co-create organization’s strategy and vision and share in the overall responsibility for the implementation of LPHI strategic plan.
- Establish short-, mid- and long-range goals for the organization and align the work of all teams with the organization’s strategic plan.
- Address critical strategic issues in operational and programmatic matters
- In conjunction with senior leadership, direct efforts to promote synergy between LPHI’s strategic plan and the activities of community organizations, including partners, funders, and other community stakeholders.
Inspire and Lead People and Programs
- Share responsibility with the CDO, CFO and Director of Human Resources to effectively lead and direct portfolio and shared service teams and operations, including goals development, coaching, performance assessment, and the identification and filling of skills and capacity gaps.
- Lead, supervise, coach, and develop programmatic and communications staff.
- Provide effective and inspiring leadership, as well as stewardship, of LPHI by being actively involved in all projects and services. Implement and lead a continuous quality improvement process throughout the portfolios and shared services areas, focusing on systems/process improvement. Promote regular and ongoing opportunities for all staff to give feedback on LPHI’s strategic direction and operations.
- Foster a high-performance culture characterized by service leadership, collaboration and transparency that result in strong team morale, effective talent utilization, and partnership across programs.
Promote LPHI Brand and Create Opportunity
- Provide leadership and subject matter expertise and actively collaborates in the development and implementation of LPHI programs, including proposal development, resource management, partner engagement, quality assurance, reporting, and post-implementation review.
- Engages with key stakeholders to build understanding, loyalty and affinity for the LPHI brand in partnership with CEO.
- Share responsibility to develop and maintain relationships with governmental agencies, private foundations, and external partner allies to achieve LPHI’s mission.
- Provide leadership in development of inter-team communication and cohesiveness, sustaining culture and supporting staff during organizational growth.
- Collaborate with Senior Leadership Team to develop financial strategies that promote LPHI’s long-term sustainability, including development of project concepts, proposals for funding, and other duties as assigned.
Influence and Measure Impact
- Lead implementation and monitoring of processes and solutions to ensure the integration of strategic direction and program goals.
- Monitor emerging needs, opportunities, trends and changes in conditions and collaborate with senior leadership to develop appropriate changes in strategies to support positive outcomes.
- Work closely with the finance department to ensure sound fiscal and system management, including managing P&L for all programs.
- Ensure that all LPHI projects and activities operate consistently and ethically within the mission and values of LPHI.
Perform other duties as assigned in the best interest of the organization.
Desired Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Ability to model and inspire authentic leadership
- Deep capacity to facilitate health equity learning journey, apply health equity lens and engineer system improvements. Includes ability to narrate historical and current manifestations of inequity; interrogate and adapt policies and practices; and, promote conflict resolution and healing.
- Proactive, professional and positive verbal and written communication skills. Ability to give clear, concise directions.
- Strong ability to collaborate with a diverse staff team and partners to create and manage cross-organizational teams
- Strong customer service skills; must possess a “can do” and team-oriented attitude. Responds with a sense of urgency, solicits feedback to improve service, responds to requests for assistance and meets commitments.
- Ability to collaborate with teams and define personal roles and responsibilities; which includes the ability to extrapolate plans and create results through critical thinking and exercising sound judgment.
- Strong emotional intelligence skills, including interpersonal skills and experience working with individuals and groups from diverse backgrounds
- Excellent interpersonal skills both in person and by phone, including high-level diplomacy and an ability to propose a “third way” in resolving conflicts.
- Ability to maintain professionalism at all times.
- Demonstrated learning orientation
- Ability to deliver with quality and impact
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail. Ability to stay motivated, organized and productive in a fast-paced work environment. Ability to organize work to use time effectively and efficiently and regularly meets project deadlines.
- Demonstrated success in grant writing and proposal development for public health programs.
- Ability to champion and manage change
- Demonstrated ability to apply systems thinking and act strategically
- Ability to manage and develop staff
- Strong technical skills including:
- Proficiency in office systems and software, such as MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, SharePoint, etc.
How to Apply:
Please send resume, cover letter, salary requirement and three professional references to email@example.com. Subject line: Chief Program and Operations Officer
Equal Opportunity Employer