The Illinois Public Health Institute (IPHI) is seeking an experienced, resourceful, and team-oriented finance associate to support the finance manager, CEO, and program staff in carrying out accounting and financial duties. The finance associate assists, supports and maintains the bookkeeping and accounting functions of the agency. Key areas of responsibility are accounts payable, accounts receivable, billing, reconciliations, and assistance with cost allocation analysis, grants, and contract administration, audit preparation, and budgeting. The position is full time, 37.5 hours per week. The Finance Associate reports to the Finance Manager.
About the Illinois Public Health Institute
The Illinois Public Health Institute (IPHI) mobilizes stakeholders, catalyzes partnerships, and leads action to promote prevention and improve public health systems to maximize health, health equity and quality of life for the people of Illinois. IPHI leads initiatives through the Center for Community Capacity Development, the Center for Health Information Technology, and the Center for Policy and Partnership Initiatives. Current projects in the Centers include: leading the national Data Across Sectors For Health (DASH) strategy to build communities’ ability to share data across sectors for community health; catalyzing, supporting and providing training and technical assistance to multi-sector community collaborative health improvement and health transformation initiatives, including serving as the backbone organization for the multi-hospital, multi-stakeholder Alliance for Health Equity; and conducting policy advocacy and systems initiatives to address obesity, nutrition, physical activity and chronic disease, including convening the Illinois Alliance to Prevent Obesity. IPHI has an approximately $5 million annual budget, twenty-one staff members, and works with numerous partners, contractors, consultants, and foundations both programmatically and financially. Visit www.iphionline.org for more information about IPHI.
Accounts Payable/Accounts Receivable/Reconciliations
- Code, enter, and monitor billing, payables, ACH withdrawals, and automatic recurring expenses in QuickBooks Online.
- Maintain vendor purchase orders, invoices, statements, and historical records
- Manage and respond to inquiries from vendors and IPHI personnel
- Create and send billing invoices, track and process payments including third party merchant payments, record deposits, and monitor the accounts receivable aging report by following up with payers to ensure timely receipt of payments.
- Enter grant, contract, and donor receivables into QuickBooks Online
- Conduct monthly bank (checking, savings, and credit card) and balance sheet account reconciliations
- Allocate direct costs and expenses to appropriate cost centers
- Allocate monthly indirect costs to program cost centers for foundation, non-profit, government grants and fee-for-service contracts.
- Allocate shared costs (rent, supplies, etc.) to program cost centers
- Prepare and maintain direct and indirect cost analysis and financial reporting for private foundations grants, state and federal government grants, and external audits
Grant and contract administration
- Track YTD revenue and expenditures and work with program staff and management to ensure expenditures are spent within the required timeframe
- Produce grant vouchers for reimbursement in the form(s) required by funders, including information such as YTD expenditures, reconciliation of advances, etc.
- Coordinate with IPHI grant-making staff, monitor and track outgoing grants and associated contracts, prepare payments and track receipt, process financial reports for funded awards.
- Assist with outside accounting firm to prepare for the audit, including fixed asset/depreciation schedule, vacation accruals, payroll reconciliations, and development of worksheets with information needed by auditor and provide auditor with records as requested for testing
- Assist management and program staff with development of annual budget by providing information on fixed costs, salaries, benefits, and revenue projections.
- Assist with preparing budgets and budget narratives for grant proposals including converting financial data to the budget templates required by the grantors.
Other duties as assigned
- Bachelors’ degree, preferably in accounting or finance related field with one to two years professional experience including at least one year of financial management experience. New graduates are welcome to apply. IPHI values multiple pathways towards attaining professional experience and education.
- Knowledge and experience with QuickBooks (QuickBooks online experience is a plus) and Excel.
- Knowledge of non-profit finance and accounting practices, including grants management and financial reporting,
- Ability to translate financial concepts to – and to effectively collaborate with — programmatic and fundraising colleagues who do not necessarily have finance backgrounds
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- A multitasker with the ability to wear many hats in a fast-paced environment
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and customer service are important. IPHI has a collegial, team‐oriented culture where a sense of humor and a passion for work is highly valued.
Compensation: $40,000 – $50,000 depending on experience and qualifications. IPHI offers competitive benefits including health, dental and disability insurance, sick and vacation time, and a retirement plan with employer matching contributions. Location: The position is located in Chicago at the IPHI office. Starting Date: Immediate.
Application Instructions: Please submit a resume, cover letter by January 11, 2019 to be considered for this position. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis and the position filled when the ideal candidate is identified so applying early is advantageous. The cover letter should compare your qualifications and experiences to the duties and responsibilities and qualifications for the position. Please submit application materials electronically to email@example.com with “Finance Associate” in the subject line.
IPHI is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, and is actively seeking and encouraging applications from women, people of color, individuals with disabilities, and/or people who are LGBTQ+.
No phone calls, please.