The National Network of Public Health Institutes (NNPHI) is an active network comprised of 44 member public health institutes in 31 states spanning all ten Department of Health and Human Services regions. Public health institutes are nonprofit organizations that improve the public’s health by fostering innovation, leveraging resources, and building partnerships across sectors, including government agencies, communities, the health care delivery system, media, and academia. NNPHI and its member institutes work together to implement public health policy and program initiatives throughout all 50 states. NNPHI offices are located in New Orleans, LA and Washington, DC.
NNPHI also serves as the National Coordinating Center for Public Health Training (NCCPHT) and supports nationwide collaboration to build a sustainable and coordinated network of Regional Public Health Training Centers nationwide that work together in co-creating, modernizing, standardizing, and distributing evenly to all communities and Tribes quality training, tools, and resources that advance the nation’s public health workforce throughout all fifty states, tribal communities and five US territories.
The Communications Associate is responsible for the direction, coordination, implementation, execution, quality, control, and completion of specific communications projects as it relates to NNPHI-hosted events and funded programs.
NNPHI maintains offices in Washington, DC and New Orleans, Louisiana. Additional staff, consultants, members, and partners support NNPHI’s mission from several locations throughout the United States. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, this position will commence remotely. Ultimately, NNPHI requires the position will be based in either of our two office locations. Therefore, applicants should indicate their preference to work in NNPHI offices located in New Orleans or Washington, DC.
- Management of internal relations, in coordination with the Associate Director, as it relates to programs within an assigned portfolio, including but not limited to developing strong relationships with program managers and directors across the organization and providing regular status updates on key programs, processes, and metrics.
- Coordination of assigned program budget updates with the Program Manager, as well as providing monthly budget reports to the Associate Director of Communication and providing updates during quarterly budget meetings with program directors.
- Manage creative projects from inception through completion for assigned programs including media production, reports, articles, campaigns and graphics.
- Coordinates public outreach with other partners, including non-profit, public health and community groups as needed; identifies potential partnerships with other local and national organizations to amplify mission and key issues.
- Develop and report on agreed upon marketing analytics.
- Update the NNPHI website for all assigned programs.
General Communications Responsibilities
- Create press pitches, press kits, newsletters, and related marketing materials as assigned to amplify messaging across multiple platforms.
- Participate in annual evaluation and development of overall strategic communications plan.
- Participate in opportunities to engage communicators across the network and maintain strong relationships with communicators at member institutes and training centers.
- Create and disseminate regular email marketing communications through Mailchimp and Cvent, as appropriate.
- Co-manage the general communications email inbox for questions, opportunities and ways to grow NNPHI’s overall reach.
- Contribute to the content gathering and development of NNPHI’s social media on existing outlets and provide suggestions for expanding NNPHI’s digital footprint.
- Collaborate with NNPHI teams and the Communications Program Manager on administrative activities including developing, monitoring, and updating communications project timelines via Smartsheets and other programs.
- Create and edit basic graphics, reports, and videos.
- Provide copyediting support for reports.
- Assist with scheduling meetings, conference calls, and webinars for members of the communications team.
- Review social media and traditional media to report on monthly trends in the industry.
- Perform other duties as needed.
The Communications Associate requires a bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, public relations, or relevant field, with a minimum of 3+ years of related experience in a similar role. Strong preference will be given to applicants with agency experience or experience managing agency relationships.
Additional qualification include:
- Proven history of managing multiple projects and/or accounts simultaneously
- Passion for communication including planning and implementation of high-quality, mission-driven practices geared towards success
- Excellent communication skills, entrepreneurial spirit, and passion for working within a growing team
- Ability to contribute to the creation of a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences
- A creative problem solver that anticipates the needs of projects and/or accounts
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work impactfully on a team and with diverse external partners
- Experience in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment with a strong focus on quality improvement
- Strong customer service skills: must possess a “can do” and solutions-based attitude. Responds with a sense of urgency, solicits feedback to improve service, responds to requests for assistance and meets commitments. Sees obstacles as an opportunity to provide creative solutions
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail. Ability to stay motivated, organized and productive in a fast-paced work environment.
- Manage all parts of multiple projects to ensure all project deadlines are met, including managing creative production
- Ability to manage multiple projects while setting appropriate priorities to achieve goals. Includes ability to adapt to changes in the work environment, manage competing demands and being able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events
- Experience managing and creating budgets of varying sizes
- Proficiency with Mail Chimp, Twitter, LinkedIn, WordPress, and social media scheduling platforms.
- Experience with photo editing, video editing, and media relations a plus.
Salary range is expected to be $45,000-$55,000 and commensurate with qualifications and location of the position. A highly competitive benefits package is offered to all NNPHI staff.
This position requires travel of approximately 5%.
Please send a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and three professional references to email@example.com with the subject line: Attn: Communications Associate. Please indicate in your cover letter your salary requirement and preference for work location (New Orleans or Washington, DC office).
NNPHI’s Values Statement to our Employees
- We value each employee as a whole person and support a healthy life balance.
- We believe in a work environment that promotes health and wellness.
- We believe in investing in the growth and passion of our employees to create a workforce that positively affects social change.
Equal Opportunity Employer