The Colorado Association of Local Public Health Officials (CALPHO) is a non-profit organization that brings together the leadership of local public health agencies that cover all Colorado counties. Since its inception, the field of Public Health has focused on preventing, researching, monitoring, and responding to the largest health threats to morbidity and mortality at any given time. CALPHO has been an essential partner to convene local public health agencies, in addition to other public health partners, in order to create a constructive and collegial
environment that fosters an effective and efficient public health system. CALPHO also encourages improvement in the quality, capacity, and leadership of local public health agencies and public health professionals.
The Executive Director of the Colorado Association of Local Public Health Officials is a champion of the mission and vision of the organization and works with the staff, the board and the entire CALPHO membership to develop and maintain CALPHO’s strategic direction and necessary resources for the organization. Through highlevel decision making and a commitment to organizational best practices, the Executive Director works to ensure optimal Association performance and consistent progress toward the vision, mission and objectives of
CALPHO is seeking to fill the position as an exempt position at 30 hours – 40 hours per week, which will be
negotiable at final selection.
Core Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Members – establish and maintain good relationships with members.
- Community engagement – represent the organization’s purpose, strategies and programs to members, partners, health care leaders, policymakers and funders.
- Leadership and relationship building – promote and maintain cooperative and close working relationships with the National Association of County and City Health Officials (NACCHO), the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPHE), other associations, agencies of government, academia and private sector interests of relevance to CALPHO.
- Partnership and coalition leadership – Serve on committees, task forces, consortiums, advisory boards, think tanks, etc. in consultation with the EC and in ways that advance the Association’s interests.
- Planning – in partnership with the Board and staff, ensure that CALPHO’s programs and activities are advised by the members and are supportive of their needs. These programs and activities should also support achievement of CALPHO’s strategies and objectives. Provide leadership in developing strategic, 2 program, organizational, and financial plans with the EC and staff, and carry out plans and policies authorized by the EC.
- Administration – maintain accurate membership data; ensure an appropriate physical office space and work environment; procure and maintain technologies, equipment and furniture that allow the association to accomplish its objectives.
- Development – direct development activities identifying emerging opportunities to leverage current work and assess internal capacities for new business development. Direct all development efforts, including developing, with the Board, a sustainability plan for CALPHO’s operations.
- Human Resources – create and/or maintain a work environment that attracts, retains and motivates a diverse, high-performing staff. Appropriately supervise, evaluate and enable staff growth and ongoing professional development.
- Board Relationships – the Executive Director (ED) maintains a close working relationship with all members of the Board of Directors, particularly the Board President, with whom the ED frequently communicates and to whom they are directly accountable. Additionally, the ED engages effectively with all Board members and makes it a priority to stay in touch with all directors and key staff of local public health agencies. The ED works to ensure the Board is able to perform its duties to advise, govern, oversee organizational performance and assist with the leadership and general promotion of CALPHO.
- Generate and manage sufficient financial resources from various funding sources to meet Association objectives.
- Identify nontraditional opportunities to generate revenue for CALPHO, including new earned income
- Oversee the development of budgets; ensure appropriate systems and controls are in place; monitor financial performance; ensure that the Association operates within budget and resources.
- Oversee all bookkeeping, accounting and financial activities, produce accurate financial statements and ensure an Annual Review or Annual Audit is conducted as determined with the EC.
- Complete all necessary registrations and file all reports to ensure compliance with laws, regulations and
- Provide oversight of grants and related reporting.
Policy and Advocacy
- Coordinate activities with contract lobbyist to ensure the Association and local public health interests are considered and influential in decision-making in the state legislature.
- Oversee the impact of policy issues for local public health including through legislative and regulatory
- Represent and manage the representation of the Association in policy and advocacy coalitions and ensure the Association has the right level of involvement and influence.
- Oversee and manage proactive and reactive policy analysis to assure local public health policy interests are addressed.
- Maintain working knowledge of policy issues in public health and prevention.3
- Coordinate, as appropriate, with NACCHO’s federal lobbying team to lift up Colorado stories and issues at the national level.
Ideal Skill Set and Qualifications
- Must be a strong leader and manager able to clearly articulate the mission and vision of CALPHO and effectively lead people to achieving goals.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the demonstrated ability to interact effectively with people from diverse backgrounds and professional arenas. Must be able to work effectively with board members, related organizations in health and health care fields, state legislators and policy makers, state administration and local, state and national governing entities.
- Coordinate, attend, staff and facilitate meetings as appropriate, including all CALPHO Board and Member meetings.
- Effective communicator with evidence of success through written communication and oral presentation abilities.
- Substantial management experience with a proven ability to foster a positive and productive work environment, manage people, budgets and programs to achieve clear and measurable goals.
- Successful experience with building and managing multi-disciplinary partnerships, workgroups and
Five years of public health leadership experience; experience with a professional association or association board; Bachelor’s Degree, or equivalent life experience, in a related field such as Health, Public Policy, Education, Business or Nonprofit Management.
Trailhead Institute is supporting CALPHO through the hiring process. Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: CALPHO Executive Director Position. In the cover letter, please include a brief description of your experience and professional perspective on each of the four areas of core job duties and responsibilities.
This is an exempt position with benefits that include health, dental and a 401k savings option with an employer match. CALPHO is seeking to fill the position at 30 hours – 40 hours per week, which will be negotiable at final selection. Hiring range for 40 hours per week is $80,000-$90,000, with the full salary range for 40 hours per week as $80,000-$100,000. CALPHO is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusivity and the strengths of individuals from a variety of backgrounds.
This position is located in the state of Colorado and will require statewide travel. Applications will be accepted from individuals located statewide.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, but full consideration will be given to complete applications received by 05/28/2021. Those who do not apply by the deadline may not be considered. Review of applications will begin immediately. No phone calls, please