Supporting the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Public Health Workforce Development Initiative
NNPHI is working with CDC's Scientific Education and Professional Development Program Office (SEPDPO), which established a Public Health Workforce Development Initiative in 2011 to strengthen the public health workforce by influencing policy and improving quality, availability, and accessibility of training and workforce development. On December 13-14, 2012, CDC SEPDPO convened the Public Health Workforce Summit, Modernizing the Workforce for the Public's Health: Shifting the Balance in Atlanta, GA.
Over 40 organizations, including CDC Centers, Institutes, and Offices (CIOs); the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA); public health practice organizations; academic associations; healthcare disciplines; nonprofit associations; and foundations participated in the Summit. The agenda for the Summit can be found in the Summit Program Booklet, which can be viewed by clicking the Summit Program Booklet.
To view presentations, as listed on the Summit agenda, click on the following links:
- Modernizing the Workforce for the Public’s Health: Shifting the Balance (Denise Koo, MD, MPH)
- Shifting the Balance: Reflecting on the Institute of Medicine Reports and Public Health Realities (Harvey V. Fineberg, MD, PhD)
- Destinations for a Public Health Workforce Roadmap, A Perspective from the Front Lines (David Fleming, MD)
- Durham and Duke – From a “City of Medicine” to a Community of Health (J. Lloyd Michener, MD)
- Public Health Institutes: Innovators in Public Health Workforce Development (Louise Cohen, MPH)
- Health System Redesign and Payment Reform – Setting the Stage for Modernizing the Public Health Workforce (Anthony Rodgers)
- Rethinking our Traditional Thinking: The Health System Workforce (Eduardo Sanchez , MD, MPH)
For more information about the Summit, please refer to the CDC-SEPDPO webpage.
Other resources related to the public health workforce can be accessed using the links on the right-hand column.
To learn more about NNPHI's engagement with CDC's Public Health Workforce Development Initiative, contact , Program Manager.